Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Grand Finale

Okay...so to start this one out, I am going to put some pictures on here that go with the story so far.

Wes and Mom not too soon after first arriving at the
hospital......


At mom's after being sent home.....Wes
putting pressure on my back during
the contractions


On Mom's bed having killer contractions
wishing I could change my mind about

having a baby!



Okay...on with the story........


As I said before, they had broken my water sometime before to see if that would get babe to move down some more. When they did this there was meconium there meaning that babe had decided to crap inside of me before he showed his face to us all! When they do this, they can ingest the meconium (eat the poo) and so when the time came for him to be born, he'd have to have his lungs and stomach pumped. This whole meconium thing was also part of the c-section decision. The longer they are in there swimming around in and eating their poo, the worse it is! (do I find it weird that someone else has poohed in me? YES!)

That afternoon, my Dad, Wes's mom and Wes's son, Richard came up to the hospital to be there for the birth. (not THERE for the birth...but in the hospital waiting for the new arrival) I know that they were there, but I don't really remember seeing them at all. If it weren't for the pictures, I don't think I would believe anyone that they were actually there!
Watching the contractions......is was SOOO nice to NOT
feel them!

Once the decision was made to do the C-section, things went really fast from there. Wes was dressed and ready to go in no time at all, so we were just waiting for the OR room to be ready for us.

Waiting to be wheeled away! As you can tell,
I am completely exhausted by this point........
couldn't open my eyes or even smile!

I don't even really remember what I was thinking at this point. I know that I was excited to meet the little one that I had been carrying for the last 9 months, but I think I was pretty emotionless. The wait was not long. I think it was 20 minutes from the time they told me I would be have a C-section to the time I was in the OR. Now, don't quote me on this as I was so drugged up, but IF I remember right, it wasn't long.

The last kiss goodbye, until we met again in the OR!

Being wheeled away......

Once I was in the OR they started prepping me for the surgery and explained to me that because there was meconium, the baby would be taken right away so they could pump his lungs and stomach and then would be taken to the nursery for chest x-rays. I don't think that I fully comprehended what they were saying. Really at that point they could have told me anything and it wouldn't have fazed me! I do remember the Dr. who was performing the C-section asking me what I wanted the sex of the baby to be. I told him that it didn't matter, but I thought I was having a boy. He then made me a deal that he would pull out a boy if we named him Denis. (the Dr.'s name) I remember that I thought that was funny. Once I was all prepped and ready to go, Wes came in a took his seat by my head. It was so nice having him there. He sat there stroking my hair and loving on me. It was wonderful. I don't recall too much about the whole procedure, seemed like it was over in a flash to me. I do remember smelling burning flesh, and there was lots of pressure and then the Dr. announcing that he just pulled out "Denis"! Wes and I looked at each other and smiled, both saying "I knew it!" (knew that it was a boy) I didn't get to see him up close as he was taken to the warming table right away. The Nurse moved to the side for a brief moment so I could get a quick look and that was it. As soon as his they had dealt with his lungs and stomach, the whisked him away for his chest x-rays. They allowed Wes to go up to the nursery with them, which I was so thankful for.


Abrams first moments of life....

Our little man holding on to Daddy.....





After they left the Dr. told me they were just going to stitch me up and then I would be taken back to my room. My midwife was still there with me at this point, to make sure I was doing okay. All I remember is asking her if it was okay if I went to sleep! I didn't want anyone to me mad at me for wanting to sleep! And that was it....I was out like a light! I don't remember them stitching me up or even moving me back to my room. Man...I was SO tired. Once I was back in my room, I vaguely remember seeing all of my family. I know that they brought Abram into me so that I could nurse him, but I don't really remember it. Once again, I have pictures to prove that it happened!
Holding my little man for the first time


I'm pretty sure everyone cleared out soon after that. Wes stayed for a while, but I couldn't even stay awake, so he took off to go get some much needed sleep. As soon as he was gone, I was out again. The nurse woke me up sometime during the night so that I could pump and try to get my milk to come in. When you have a c-section it sometimes takes longer for your milk to drop, so they wanted me to start pumping right away on top of breastfeeding to speed things up.

I was put into a semi private room (for free) and my first night there I was the only one in it. Not that I remember enough to actually say that I that I enjoyed it though! The next morning came and the nurse came in to wake me up and get me to go to the washroom. It was pretty funny. She came to help me get out of bed, but I had totally forgotten that I had just had a c-section, so I started to refuse her help thinking that I could get up by myself. Ouch!! Didn't take long for me to remember what I had just gone through! I was still extremely groggy, but can remember the pain of trying to stand up. And the worst part of it was that once I was in the washroom it took me forever to find the muscles to go pee with! Strangest feeling ever! I remember looking in the mirror in the washroom and being totally shocked by what I looked like! I came into the hospital looking pregnant, but not all that big, and then after the baby came out I was HUGE! It looked like I had packed on another 20 pounds. I couldn't tell where my feet connected to my legs....it was a bad bad case of kankels! The nurse reassured me that this would go away in no time at all. It was from all of the fluids they had been pumping into me while I was there.

Prior to Abram being born, Wes and I had said that if it's a boy we were going to shave his hair into a mohawk. This was going to be mostly to bug my mom, but I thought it would look so cute! Well that morning when they brought him into me it was really the first time that I was awake enough to look at him and take everything about him in. Man...he was so cute!! This is what I saw.....


That's right! He was born with this cute curly mohawk! When Wes showed up that morning the first thing I said was "he has a mohawk!!!!". So adorable!

I seemed to be recovering from the C-section fairly well. I was up and walking around later that day, and was feeling pretty good. I hated being in the hospital. I so just wanted to be at home and was hoping that the next day they would let me go. I talked to the nurses about it, and they said they'd have to wait until the morning after my blood results came back. During the surgery I had lost heaps of blood, so my hemoglobin count was really low. For me to be able to go home it would have to go back up to the 90's. Because I was feeling so good, I was certain that this wouldn't be a problem. The next morning came and the blood results were taking forever to come back. The nurses said I was looking pretty good, so they didn't think it would be a problem for me to leave. They would just check with the Dr. that did the c-section to see what he thought. He also agreed that I was doing well. So I got the ok, and started packing up all my stuff, waiting for Wes to get there. I was SO excited! I was all ready to go and literally 2 minutes before Wes arrived the nurse came back in and told me that I would not be allowed to leave anymore. They had just received my blood results and the count had dropped to below 70. I started bawling, and then nurse just stood there looking at me like I was a complete freak! She left the room just as Wes got there, and he walked into me crying like a little baby! I know...sounds bad, but I REALLY wanted to go home! The first thing I said to him was "why couldn't you have come 2 minutes earlier???" Yah, I was 2 minutes away from walking out the door. Eventually I got over it and came to terms that I would be there for yet another night. The Dr. came in a little while later and told me there was no way he was going to let me go with a count that low. Usually when it's under 90 they give blood transfusions, but because I was young and healthy he was going to wait until the morning to see if it goes up on it's own. I've always had low iron, so I guess I wasn't all that surprised. The hospital had been giving me iron supplements, but they didn't seem to be doing all that much. I phoned mom and got her to bring up my liquid iron supplements and started downing that stuff. It seemed to help more then what they were giving me. In all I guess I was just pissed off because they had already told me I could leave and then they changed their minds. I know that it was for my safety, but at that point I wasn't thinking along those lines. All I was thinking was that they were liars!!

The next morning came and Wes made sure he was there first thing just in case the same thing happened again. We were going to be prepared to leave as soon as someone gave us the okay. We weren't going to give them anytime to change their minds again! My hemoglobin managed to go up to the high 70's over night which was a big jump, so finally that morning I was allowed to leave. Man...I couldn't get out of there fast enough!!

And there you have it....that is my little mans story.

Things I would do differently next time......make sure that I was able to hold me babe before the rest of my family. I have pictures of everyone holding him while I was still in surgery. After a few weeks, this really started to bother me. Still does actually!!

Stay tuned for "Post pregnancy drama"!!

Abram a couple of hours old.....


2 comments:

CeCe said...

I don't htink I wrote about it, but after I had the baby, I hadn't lost any weight either, 'cause of all the fluids. Funny thing, no-one (friends) belived me! Now I have YOU to back me up! HEe hee.

Abram is such an adorable little thing! But of course, he was born to adorable you!!

I hope your second delivery (if/when it happens) is much easier! I think you should switch hospitals!

shandelle said...

A great story. I am glad that I wasn't the only one who was out of it. Your second usually goes alot quicker. I will do Isabella's soon. That was 24 hours. So I feel ya!