Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Part One: Six Months Old Today......here's His Story!


Well, today my little man is SIX months old!! Where does the time go? Seriously, I can't believe how fast time has gone by! I had a little teary moment this morning as I thought about the last six months. It seems like yesterday that I was waking up in labour anticipating the arrival of my baby, and now he's already 6 months old! It's funny how I can still remember every single detail of those moments.........this is how it went.

It all started on Sunday May 7th and 2:00 in the morning. My due date was April 30th, so by this time I was a week late and had come to the conclusion that I was just never going to have this baby. The funny thing is after goingthru the longest worst week of my life, I had finally come to terms with never having it. It's hard to explain how I felt, but I really did think it was never going to come out! That night I went to bed and it was the first night I didn't fall asleep thinking "is tonight the night"?? It was probably the best sleep I had during the whole pregnancy. I slept right until 2am until I had to get up to go pee. Now that in itself is a miracle as I was usually up every hour or so to go pee. Okay...so it's 2 am and I wake up to pee. As I was so used to getting up to go pee during the night I developed the talent of not really waking up to do it. So, I roll out of bed, take the 3 steps to the washroom, sit down, start peeing and then OUCH!! Something hurt. I was confused as to what just hurt me because I wasn't really awake. I sat there for a little longer in my sleepy state, and then OUCH...it did it again. All of the sudden I woke up. I sat there in a confused frame of mind thinking, "no way...I'm not in labour....remember Alisha...the baby is never coming out". OUCH...it did it again. Okay....so I am having contractions....what do I do?? I climbed back in to bed and layed there for a while watching the clock and timing the contractions. 5 Minutes apart. Do I wake Wes up? Yah..that's probably a good idea.

Me: "Wes...honey......wes......are you awake?.....Wake up baby......honey, I think I am having contractions.......Wes, did you hear me?....WES WAKE UP!!!"

Wes: "Huh? What? Contractions? How close?........'snoring'"

So I decided that they weren't hurting all that bad, so I would let him sleep a little longer. I layed there for about an hour watching the clock tick by, dreading the 5 minute mark of another contraction. They started getting more intense, so I thought I'd better try to wake Wes up again and then maybe call my Midwife to let her know what was going on. She had told me to call her when the contractions started to hurt and were around 5 minutes apart. Well..they started at 5 minutes apart and as far as I could tell they WERE hurting! Time to wake Wes up....

Me: "Wes, I am having contractions so you NEED to wake up...."

Wes: "........silence.....snorning......."

Me: " WESLEY WAKE UP!!......(start pushing him).....wake up, wake up, wake up...."

Wes: "WHAT?........snoring......"

So by this time I am getting slightly frustrated. I decided that I would get out of bed and walk around for a bit. As I was walking around the house in the middle of the night, the reality of what was happening really started to hit home......it was kind of scary. Suddenly I was the closest I have ever been to being a mom. I never once starting worrying about how much it was going to hurt or anything. I was just so shocked and excited that I was about to become a mommy! Okay.....time to go wake Wes up.....AGAIN!

Me: "Honey, you need to wake up NOW....Wes if you don't open your eyes and wake up I am going to hurt you!! Did you hear me?? WES!!"

Wes: " Huh?.....what's wrong honey? What time is it?"

Me: "It's 3:30ish and you need to wake up....I've been having contractions since 2!!"

Wes: "What? Why didn't you wake me up earlier?? Have you phoned the midwife?"

Me: "I HAVE TRIED to wake you up THREE times now!!"

Wes: "Oh...uhhh.....I'll go make some coffee!"

Yes, it's amazing....he actually woke up this time! So I called my midwife....I so didn't want to at that time in the morning, but hey...that's what they get paid for right? She told me to go have a shower for a bit and see if that brought the contractions on any stronger. I thought she was crazy for telling me to do something to bring them on STRONGER!! I was to phone her after the shower and let her know how things were going. So about a half hour later I called her, and she told up that we should probably start heading to the hospital because this was my first baby and you never know how fast things are going to go with your first. The hospital in about an hours drive from here...that is unless you are married to Wes and you are in labour! Wes called my mom before we left the house to let her know we were on our way to the hospital. She of course was up and out the door in no time at all! My mom and sister were to be in the delivery room with Wes and I. It took me a good half hour to get thru to my sister though. Can't even remember how many times I called!! Finally her oldest, Emily went and woke her up because the phone kept ringing and it was bugging her!

So we got to the hospital at 5 am. They hooked me up to all the monitors to watch the contractions. Now this is where it really began to SUCK! They had me laying on my back and for some reason when I did that, the contractions would slow right now.....like to 1o-15 minutes apart. As soon as I went on my side, sat up, or stood up, they would be at 2-5 minutes apart! I was so sure that they thought I was faking it all! (crazy how you worry about that in the middle of it all!) They check me at this point and I was only 1 cm dilated. After a little while, they said that I was not in active labour so I should leave and go get something to eat and walk around for a bit, and check back in, in a few hours. Okay...that really sucks! So we (wes, me, mom and tasha) went to do just that. It was only like 6 am, so NOTHING was open except for Tim Horton's. I wasn't hungry at all, so we just went for coffee and a muffin. Now as I said before, when I wasn't laying on my back, the contractions were crazy!! So we are sitting there, and every 2 minutes I'm trying not to scream in pain! There were a few people there that had nothing better to do, then stare at a fat pregnant lady in labour! Ohh...how I wanted to tell them off! We then went walking around for a couple of hours, and then drove around for a couple of more hours. The contractions were 2 minutes apart now.....and they hurt!! Around noon sometime, we went back to the hospital and they hooked me all up again and check me. Yah.....on my back...contractions stop......still 1 cm dilated. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!
So...out we go again. We went and had some lunch (I was super hungry by this time) and then I went into Superstore with Mom and Tasha. Keep in mind that during all of this I am having contractions every 2-5 minutes! Wes was waiting in the car for us, so once we were done we heading across the parking lot to find him. Walking along.....OUCH.....the worst one yet, and I am in the middle of the parking lot where all the cars have to drive to get out! There is no way I am going to move out of the way, so they just have to be patient and wait for me to be done. I am leaning on Tasha moaning and and trying my hardest not to scream. She's standing in front of me coaching my breathing (which I totally sucked at! Breathing was the last thing I wanted to do!) and this old man walks by and says as he's giving us the dirtiest look ever...."
what the f#%k is her problem? Move out of the way!!" By this point all I could do was laugh......I knew I looked like a total freak! Once we got to the car Wes was in there laughing as he had just watch the whole thing happen. Ahh....nothing like a good laugh to ease some pain!

So much more to come.......

3 comments:

shandelle said...

I hate the pain and all, but I loved the emotion and excitement. I would do that part of it again, any day!!!

Alisha Ferguson said...

yah..I hear you, but when I look back was it really all that bad? Wait..I think writing about it all is telling me that YES it was bad! :)

shandelle said...

Nah, I'd do it again in a heart beat. I really miss being pregnant. Don't want to have another child, but would be preggo. I am considering being a surrogate in the future actually!!